Eligibility Online Manual
M1002B2 Acquired Brain Injury Waiver
Purpose: This section will assist in determining eligibility for the Acquired Brain Injury HCBS Waiver.
Current Policy Effective Date: October 1, 2019
Date Last Reviewed: October 10, 2019
Previous Policy: October 1, 2017
POL M1002B2: DETERMINING ELIGIBILITY FOR ACQUIRED BRAIN INJURY WAIVER
1. Applicants Must Meet Basic Eligibility
Refer to Section M600 for information on basic eligibility factors.
2. Applicants Must Meet Medical Necessity Requirement
3. Applicants Meet Disability Requirements
Applicants meeting Medical Necessity Requirement fulfill the disability requirement.
4. Applicants Must Be Age 21 Through 64
Clients may continue to be eligible, beyond the age of 64, if they are eligible before their 65th birthday.
5. SSI Eligibles Do Not Need To Submit Application
If SSI is lost, an application will be required to redetermine eligibility.
6. Applicants Must Meet Income Requirements
Require the countable income to be within the maximum income standard per month. Refer to Medicaid Table 1A to see income standards. Refer to Section M901 to determine if income is countable. Provide an Income Trust Packet when the gross countable income is above the maximum income standard.
7. Applicants Must Meet Resource Requirements
8. Some Services Withheld For Nonexempt Resource Transfers
Nonexempt resources cannot be transferred for less than fair market value during the look-back period prior to application or when clients are receiving benefits.
9. Benefits Begin First Day Of Month Using Plan Of Care Approval Date
10. Clients Must Be Reviewed
Clients must be periodically reviewed every 12 months to determine continued eligibility. Refer to Section M1403 for information on reviewing eligibility.
A review is not required for SSI clients.
Clients must be reviewed for other Medicaid program eligibility before closing cases.
11. Clients May Lose Benefits
The case will close on the first day of the next month when any of the following occur:
Client determined no longer eligible.
Client does not complete review.
Client enters a public institution, excluding the Geriatric Hall at the State Hospital in Evanston.
Define Group: 42 CFR 435.217
42 CFR 435 Subpart F
Income: 42 CFR 435 Subpart K
Assets: 42 CFR 435 Subpart L
SSI Eligibles Do Not Require An Application.
Client Pays No Patient Contribution.
Determining Countable Income
1. Refer to Section M901 to determine if income is countable.
Determining Countable Resources
1. Refer to Section M801 to determine if resources are countable.
Calculating Nonexempt Resource Transfer Penalty
1. Send 15 day closure notice when an adverse action has occurred.